Feel Good Classic Banana Bread
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
Prep Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 60 min
Servings: one 9x5in (12x23cm) pan
This vegan recipe is a great way of using bananas that have turned a bit brown. The ideal banana for banana bread is yellow with lots of brown spots. You want them more brown than yellow. The bananas should be overripe as this makes banana bread sweet and moist.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4), Lightly oil the metal baking tin, then flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, roughly mash 3 1/2 of the bananas. Slice the rest of the half banana into very thin slices and put it to the side.
Add the maple syrup, oil, vanilla extract, and milk to the bowl with bananas and whisk until well mixed.
- Incorporate the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Use a wooden spoon so you don't overwork the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin, and top with the extra banana slices.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer to avoid burning. Insert a skewer into the centre until it comes out with just a couple of crumbs. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
The Good Stuff:
Bananas are lending a naturally sweet taste and aroma to the treat. It is a source of carbohydrates, Vitamin A and C, and minerals including potassium.
If you want to spice the classic version of this bread up a little bit, you can add more ingredients such as walnuts.
Another option would be use a little less flour & add in some oats.
Instead of bananas you can also use mangos. Blueberries and chocolate also make a great combination.
My absolute favorite way to eat banana bread is when its slathered in cashew nut butter!